Over the years, we’ve accumulated a lot of educational and supporting material in the fields of real estate finance. Some of this material is listed below.
Everything on this page is available for download. If you like what you see, and you want to see more, let us know.
Even more of our videos are available for viewing on youtube. If you’d like to subscribe to our youtube channel and be notified whenever we post a new video, click the button below.
Videos of Excel
Videos from Real Estate Finance classes at Columbia University
In 2010, I recorded all of my lectures for my Real Estate Finance I and III class. While the video quality isn’t great, the audio is pretty good. I did not record Real Estate Finance II due to copyright issues.
The supporting materials for these videos have been updated, and will be posted on this web site.
Videos from Real Estate Finance I, 2010, Columbia University, MS in Real Estate Development program
- Lecture 1 – Time Value of Money
- Lecture 2 – Fixed and Adjustable Rate Mortgages
- Lecture 3 – Leases
- Lecture 4 – Leases and Appraisal
- Lecture 5 – Valuation and Taxation
- Lecture 6 – Taxation and Leverage
- Lecture 7 – Leverage, Risk, and Options
- Lecture 8 – Corporate Real Estate and Construction
- Lecture 9 – Construction and Development
Videos from Real Estate Finance III, 2010, Columbia University, MS in Real Estate Development program
- Lecture 1 – Introduction and Distressed Debt
- Lecture 2 – Distressed Debt
- Lecture 3 – Subsidy Programs
- Lecture 4 – Subsidy Programs
- Lecture 5 – Brownfield Development
- Lecture 6 – Brownfield Development
- Lecture 7 – Fund Modeling
- Lecture 8 – Fund Modeling
- Lecture 9 – Fund Modeling
- Lecture 10 – not recorded due to technical error
- Lecture 11 – Hotels
- Lecture 12 – Hotels and Derivatives
- Lecture 13 – Modeling Tips
- Lecture 14 – Conclusion
Videos on Specific Financial Concepts
Top 10 Questions that Students Ask in the Excel for Real Estate Analysis class
1. Why did you start teaching this class?
2. Why does someone seek to take an Excel modeling class?
3, What can one realistically expect to get out of your class, or for that matter, any similar class?
4. What are the greatest skill deficiencies that you see in the industry in regards to financial modeling skills?
5. What books do you like on the subject of real estate finance? Why?
6. If I want to get better at building financial models, what should I do?
7. What are the most challenging things to model and why?
8. How do you verify or research your assumptions?
9. Do you offer any pre-recorded or online options?
10. What’s the best way to prepare for an excel-based interview case study test?
- Convert Monthly Cash Flows into Quarters and Years
- Amortization Schedules
- Canadian Style Amortization
- A smooth construction curve over time (BETA.DIST)