What Will I Learn?
In this one-day course, attendees will learn how to use Assess+RE to an intermediate level and will be exposed to its most advanced features. No previous experience with the software is required. A limited exposure to commercial real estate or finance is sufficient as all relevant financial concepts are covered in class.
By the end of the class, you will know how to do the following:
- Build financial models in Assess+RE using nothing more than a few assumptions
- Edit and audit existing models for errors and unreasonable assumptions
- Determine an appropriate purchase price and leverage based on desired rates of return and risk tolerance
- Build detailed cash flow projections, sources and uses schedules, and other financial reporting tools such as discounted cash flow analysis (Net Present Value and IRR)
- Estimate future sale prices based on cash flow and other approaches
- Account for the impact of debt financing
- Understand how to use Assess+RE to model all commercial property types (office, industrial, and retail).
- Share deals with your colleagues and partners.
- Export all data and reports to MS Excel
A strong emphasis is placed on how the software is used in the business world. All students will receive “hands-on” experience in the class and will also work on practice cases. With each step, the complexity builds as the attendee’s knowledge increases. Different solutions to the practice cases are reviewed and discussed at the end of each unit.
A wide range of people will benefit from our seminar. For example:
- Acquisitions and development professionals
- Loan officers and mortgage brokers
- Real estate brokers
- Current and recent graduates of MBA and undergraduate programs
- Portfolio managers and asset managers
- Anyone that would like to break into commercial real estate or further their knowledge of real estate finance
- Creating and Answering the Basic Four Questions for Any Model
- Help! – How to Get It
- Property Level Revenues, Expenses, and Capital Expenditures
- Introduction to Property Level Reporting
- Entering a Single Tenant
- Market Leasing Assumptions
- Introduction to Vacancy and Credit Loss
- Property Purchase and Investment
- Resale and Valuation
- Debt Financing
- Present Value Discounting
- Case Study: Reed Tower, Part 1
- An Introduction to Auditing
- Multiple Tenants
- Detailed Base Rent
- Retail Sales Rent (“Percentage Rent”)
- Parking Revenue
- Advanced Vacancy
- Tenant Recoveries
- Grossing Up Expenses
- Working with Excel
- Case Study: Reed Tower, Part 2
5:00 End of day
There is a short break (15 minutes) each day in the morning and the afternoon.
All open enrollment courses are restricted to no more than 20 attendees in order to maximize teacher to student interaction. Students will also receive a complete set of spreadsheets for all examples and case studies that are discussed in class.
The class was designed and is exclusively taught by Joshua Kahr, founder and principal of Kahr. Mr. Kahr is internationally recognized as an expert in real estate financial modeling using both Argus and Excel.
Since 2002, he has taught his Excel for Real Estate Analysis training class for leading institutions including commercial banks, investment banks, private real estate investment firms, REITs (Real Estate Investment Trusts), business schools, developers, and government agencies. This course has also been featured by the Urban Land Institute as “Advanced Proforma Modeling Using Excel”. It was also marketed globally through Terrapinn Training and has been delivered in London, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore, Dubai, and other locations outside of the United States.
Schedule, Cost, and Signing Up
We run a class in New York City every 5 weeks. It is generally held at the NYC Seminar Conference Center at 71 West 23rd Street, Suite 515, New York, NY 10010. The class is $450 per attendee. For group discounts for 3 or more attendees, contact us.endees are invited to bring their own laptop. Laptops may be rented for an additional fee of $100. Contact us to rent a laptop.